Jesus taught us how to pray in the Lord’s prayer in the 11th chapter of Luke and the 6th chapter of Matthew. The prayer can function for us in our private devotional life in several ways: pray it exactly as it is, as an outline for talking to God, and a focus of meditation. I think it can be used as an outline to pray for certain subjects and modify it for a specific things we are praying about, such as the financial aspects of our lives. Why not, God cares about every aspect of us, and finances touch just about every one of them, so this is an important area to get this right, and we need his help. Therefore for today’s financial devotional I am using this model for some brief suggestions for our prayers.
- 9 “This, then, is how you should pray: “‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, Lord you are wonderful and holy creator and above all things, I lift you up, I lift my eyes to you for you are my God. Money is not my god or the things it buys, I worship you and you alone, not money or possessions.
- 10 your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Lord bring your Kingdom swiftly to earth, establish your eternal city as you describe in Revelation where you will reign for ever with us. There we will have perfect union with you, with our eternal bodies where there will be no suffering, disease, tears, death or injustice. Until the time of total restoration, bring your Kingdom today to us, help us to manage the financial resources you have intrusted us, according to your purposes and direction, and towards Kingdom causes.
- 11 Give us today our daily bread. Lord provide for us food, shelter, clothing, prescription medication, health care, tithes, heat for cold homes, and dependable transportation; for today. I ask for daily sustenance, not long-term riches so that I might have these things for ever without depending upon you. Lord miraculously provide for my needs, and as you did for the Israelites when their sandals didn’t wear out for 40 years as they walked through the desert, protect the things I have such as automobiles from breakage. Lord give me the energy to work hard, serving you in everything I do, with a good attitude, for a good wage. Lord provide a little extra for savings for emergencies, when I grow old and cannot work, and for some wants.
- 12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. Lord forgive me for the financial mistakes I have made. I have forgiven those that I stole from me, and who have caused me financial difficulty such as a business or spouse.
- 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. Lord help me to not be tempted to purchase things that you don’t want me to, are not wise, not tithe, or borrow instead of depending upon you. Help me to get out of debt quickly so I am not longer in this bondage. Lord protect my job and things that I own from attacks from Satan.
There are many other things that could be added to these, allow the Holy Spirit to guide you towards greater intimacy with God even as you pray about financial matters.